Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DIY Panoramic Tripod Head

UPDATE: I upgraded to D700 camera with Nikon 16-35mm thus the design of this panoramic needs update. I post pictures of the new version here
I've been in love with Panoramic ever seen I hold the camera. The camera, lens limit so much once the beautiful scenery is captured. Panoramic let viewer see the whole different level of photo. It let photographers take viewer to wherever they want in a more realistic way.

Then I found out something even better than 360 pano. It's the wee planet with 360 x 180 view. Sweet! Now you can see a completed place in one picture, one kinda weird looking picture. I did an OK job on these wee planet pics. But every now and then I got a miss match pics. Which lead me to search for a solution and that is NODAL NINJA . These guys make one hell of a tripod head for pano photography with a cost of an arm if you still have any left from buying camera gears. If not, they take either left or right foot too. (or $180-$530) for this



What the heck? So I decided to build my own :) why not ?

HOW:

Material list:
+ Aluminum 1/8" x 1.5" x 36" ($9)
+ Epoxy or any metal glue ($5) (Optional)
+ 3 x 1/4" screws and 1 nut
+ Washers (metal and rubber - I cut my old belt for rubber washer)



Tool list:
+ Precision ruler
+ Marker
+ Something to cut the aluminum with. I would have use my all time favs dremel. But I decided to go "pro" and use the real tools at work.

Cutting:
Follow these cuts in the drawing for L plate and I plate. The washers are optional. If you can find some that meet your needs then save time. Be very careful bending aluminum. A sharp tight corner will crack it faster than you can blink.


Marking and get ready to cut.



Here are the parts after cut / pre-assembly:
BOM:
+ Cut Aluminum parts
+ 3 Screws: 1 cut short, 1 long, 1 with plastic head
+ Washers: 3 small, 1 large, 3 rubber, 1 retaining washer

Assembly:
I have long screw go thru small washer, bottom L plate, small washer, then retaining washer.

Rotating joint has plastic screw go thru top L plate, plastic, large, plastic washer I plate then nut.

Camera mount has short screw, small washer, I plate then another plastic washer. This screw is a little special :). It's the long screw got cut down from 2 ends. Notice that once the swing arm go all the way down, the shot screw head can go in between 3 washers gap.


Completed assembly.

Completed assembly on tripod

With my old N65 try out.





Tada. Finished this thing a little late and haven't get time to try it out. It's a fun fast, easy project.

So I just got time to try this unit out. It's wobble a little due to the hight of L plate and the material itself. The top portion of L plate and I plate can get down from 9" to about 7" (if you are not planning on using anything other than Tokina 11-16mm). Other than that, it gives a good set of pics that stitches very well in Hugin. Here's example:

11 comments:

  1. I made a simillar head, but becasue I had no way of cutting slits I could not make it adjustable. Have a look at my attempt here http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_bo/4274259028/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I punch a series 1/4 in. in a row and used Dremel to clean it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you bought those screws?
    I'm so tired to search BSW bolts and handwheel nuts on internet...
    I want one male 1/4 BSW Handwheel, and one female 3/8 BSW handwheel.
    Do you know any website where i can get them?
    I would appreciate it too much.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey was wondering do u have to rotate the tripod or the camera in the rig ?? while taking a higher or lower angle pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jose: Sorry, it's been a while I didn't visit this blog. I got them at Homedepot

    @ Anonymous: I mount the rig on top of my 3 way tripod head so I have full control of level and rotation. The trick is just to make sure the rig and camera rotate at center of the tripod (that's what the bottom slit is for, to slide and adjust camera to center of tripod)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I just want to say a big big thanks as I was going to pay £200 for the bracket but was unable to justify it so I looked for this to make thanks I got it made from a fitter at work (thanks john) its first class from your photos and markings thanks I o u £200 LOL
    ALL THE BEST TONY
    PS I stripped an old tripod to get the screw for the camera i.e Mini Super Grip Flexible Tripod Stand with quick release this was £5 but I used the screw
    And to attach the bracket to the tripod I stripped my one and screwed it to the quick release plate with a thin nut and bolt and I will only use this tripod for 360
    So thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello! could You send me a larger photos on my mail? in my opinion this is a better tutorial in internet:) the most important for me is a photo with drawings because i dont see a letters. regards from Poland.
    Mariusz
    glapsable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariusz, I have made the newer version with better material after this one. The newer version can handle heavier camera (Nikon D700 full frame) with pretty much no vibration compare to this version 1 that even vibrate on my old D90. Unfortunately I lost the original scan of the sheet I attached in this post. Let me know which particular dimension you need, I'll try to find out again.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      Could you please share a pic of your new project.
      Regards

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete