Friday, July 3, 2009

My Toys

So this is the current setting I have:
I had SB-600 back when I still had the D40x. Couldn't do much with this flash since D40x won't sync with it. But it's a must. BTW, I still don't get this... I bought it in 08 for $177 new on Amazon and now it's priced at $219 ?!?!





I started off with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D for low light condition and it's a cheapest nice lens from Nikon. I took it home used from ebay at $80ish when it's $135 new.



Then I got this "grey" market Nikon 70-300mm VR. It's the beast! The crazy thing is I got it off craigslist for $340 when the US version new priced around $540.

So I was happy with my D90 kit lens Nikon 18-105mm VR and these two but I soon found out I still "need" something ...

That's something was a Macro lens. And again craigslist saved me big time. Got Sigma 105mm DG for $300.

And a Wide lens. I wanted a Sigma 10-20mm but after talking to cousin, he brought up the Tokina 11-16mm. After readings about this lens, I was on the hunt for a month for this hard-to-find lens. Drove 2 hrs to meet and bought this for $500 also from craigslist.


Now, there's nothing from with craigslist, used, grey market items. You just need to be careful and you'd save yourself stacks of cash (with a googly eyes singing "Tell me who's watching, I always feel that somebody's watchin' me" LOL)

Also I had some other must-have accessories such as flash diffusers:

And battery grip


And other nice-to-have accessories such as wireless remote trigger, wireless flash trigger, extension tube, 58-52mm reverse lens adapter, additional getto flash


And other accessories not in pictures such as Lowepro slingshot 200AW, lens case 2, getto tripod.

Last but not least, THE Nikon D90... tada...


If you are about to get any of these toys, feel free to ask me for opinion. I think this is a good set up for the moment. Of course a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 would be nice members to the collection but... why? Photography is a great hobby but not a great job if you take a closer look. If you want to make big buck, get a real degree and get real job. And if you want to make money out of your gears, you should be looking at how much you spend on your gear and how much it makes for you. The expensive gears does not promise you to bring the most when it comes to profit.

I don't use my photo gear to make a living. I do wedding/graduation if asked and if people trust me enough to put their once in a life time even to my eyes and gears.

Please enjoy the upcoming post and hope you'd come back for more. This blog would focus on places I've been, where I stand and what I took(I notice alot of posts, pics online where they tell you where's the place in that picture but doesn't tell you how to get there and where to stand which could be miles away), and the settings. Thought the settings don't matter much as the same situation, light wouldn't come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment