Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Seattle

What: Labor day hunting... for more landscape pics in ... Seattle

When: So this labor day I decided to be in Seattle for a weekend. Hoping to get something out or it. The locations I went to was not depend on season at all.

Where/How: So I landed in SEA late pm and decided to relax to get ready for early Sat morning.
Sat morning weather was not the best for landscape of downtown Seattle. I was up at 4:30am hoping I'll be able to get to see the crack of sunrise at about 6:30am. As usual, I got to the location Alki beach about 1 hr before sunrise. It was very cloudy that morning, so I didn't expect much out of it. Carry the whole backpack of lenses with me and the Slik Sprint pro II tripod. This location has some poles by the bank so I though it would give me some depth in the picture. On the other hand, the city was so far away that my 16-35mm will not be able to capture anything. The 70-200 would be too tight to cover these poles. I ended up using the 24-120mm the whole entire morning to cover the range I need. BAD BAD BAD decision. I would NEVER EVER EVER use this lens ever again for landscape. This lens was ment to be a walk around, family event fun lens.

This is what I got:

Shutter Speed: 3sec
Aperture: f/5.3
ISO 200
Focal Length: 72mm



Shutter Speed: 5sec
Aperture: f/5
ISO 200
Focal Length: 60mm


I then stopped by Gas Work park a little bit. It was early after noon, the light was not the best plus it's not much of my taste so I was not be able to get much out of it. I rather headed to Kerry Park for afternoon sunset shoot. Again, got here 1 hr before sunset to get ready and there were 2 pro photographers with their tripod up and ready already. So I joined them and still had my 24-120mm on at the time. I then decided to swap it out and used the 70-300mm. Good thing I did. Sun started to come down. Clouds started to glow... but not in the downtown area... ARG... oh well, it is what it is. So this is what I got, the data is approximated since I have quite a few layers to it:

Shutter Speed: 1.3sec
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO 100
Focal Length: 70mm


Sunday morning was not much better. I slept in and headed to fish lader before heading Seattle pier. At this location where I stood on top of the Art Institute of Seattle, since it's a pretty tight angle, I had my nikon 16-35mm on at 16mm. It was perfect sunset with glowing clouds and a little windy just enough to make it move under B+W ND1000x. and this is what I got (also layered so data is estimated):

Shutter Speed: 120sec
Aperture: f/20
ISO 100
Focal Length: 16mm

No comments:

Post a Comment