Friday, May 21, 2010

Bay bridge

What: I've been driving around and took so many pictures of Golden Gate. This time, I decided to beat Bay bridge to death :) Last time I had some good shots but it was too dark.
When: It was another "partly cloudy" Saturday (05/15), which always end up as a really cloudy day. I'd definitely come back mid summer for a clear shot. So we left SJ about 5:30pm for the 8pm sunset. It's a short drive to Treasure Island... or at least to South SF. Then the traffic started to look really bad... yes on Sat afternoon.

Where/How:

We got to Treasure Island and had that "oh sh!t" feeling looking at the clouds all over SF. It was not what I had in mind before we left.

So I did a lot of hw before I go out to shoot for a location. It's all started from a place I heard, browsing in bay area group in flickriver. Then search and read some more about it, how to get there, what to bring...

This time I have a clear picture in mind of what I wanted, something similar to the pier 7 shot. But I guess it was not the day.

So we decided to to park down the hill in Treasure Island and hike up. Luckily for me this round ;) our friend who is driver volunteer to drop us off at the location. Then we started to hike down the some-what trail. It's not the hardest hike but it's a loose gravel trail. So we got down to the location and it's no where close to sunset. It was so cloudy and I know I wouldn't be able to get any color out of sunset. Any flat cloudy day would turn the picture to pretty much B&W. So I just started taking some knowing it's gonna be B&W for now. And this is what I got

Shutter Speed: 1/50sec
Aperture: F/15.6
Focal: 16mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: -2



So we waited and waited until the bridge started to lid up as well as SF. Still, SF was covered with clouds. Moving around a little and I got some more:

Shutter Speed: 6sec
Aperture: F/5
Focal: 42mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: 0


Shutter Speed: 3sec
Aperture: F/5
Focal: 18mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: 0


Staying there for awhile, we decided to head back to SF side of Bay bridge and get some more angle and finish this bridge. I started to get my first shot of Bay bridge from my "to go" list

Shutter Speed: 8sec
Aperture: F/16
Focal: 38mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: 0


Then here
Shutter Speed: 30sec
Aperture: F/9
Focal: 11mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: 0


Shutter Speed: 3sec
Aperture: F/4
Focal: 14mm
ISO: 200
Exp compensation: 0


Lesson learned: Some local news website would have camcorder in popular location. I would check that first next time I go out to save gas and time. This time I remember to do some pano shots. I almost come to the basic number of shots at each location: A mode to close down to where I wanted depend on location. Add ND filter. Do bracket for HDR. Repeat for portrait frame after landscape is done. Do some under auto. Then some all around for pano.



No comments:

Post a Comment