Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Berry Creek Falls

What: Berry Creek Falls in Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Yet another inspiration by Jim Patterson.

When/Where: So I did some homework prior to this trip. Sounds like the season (when water fullest) from Dec until Mar. And it's now mid Aug. Looks like I'll be running into an all dried up waterfalls. Anyway, it would not hurt to do a little hiking. After all I was busy and off exercise the whole summer. So we left San Jose 8am sharp and got to the park gate by 9:10am or so. It was a nice breezy summer day. It was high 50 or low 60 at the park. I did not bring any extra jacket thinking it'll get warm once I start to hike in ( and I was right). Down hill most of the way to the fall. BTW, the sign say 3.9mile but it's really an 4.8 mile hike to the fall. Got to the fall about 11am, had lunch and took some shoots, break until 12pm and head toward a little for another fall. It was not as attractive as Berry Creek Fall so we just went ahead and make a round trip which is 12.2 mile total. Got back to the parking area by 4pm. From 8-11mile was the hardest. It seems to take forever and ever. But once we see 0.9 mile mark, I was at it. Jogging in happiness all the way.

How: Since it's a 12mile round trip, I had to think twice what lens to bring. Obviously the macro and 50mm f/1.8 wouldn't help much. So those two stayed home. I had with me Nikon D700, Nikkor 16-35mm, 24-120mm, and 70-300mm because I had no idea how far away the fall is from where I'd be standing. The empty pocket was used for 3 water bottles (1 frozen). Also brought 3 sandwiches along to the hike. I got here when the whole waterfall were perfectly in shade with no burn. But a sandwich later the sun started to hit it spot by spot. Oh well, I'll try my best to make it glow. And this is what I had

Shutter Speet: 4sec
Aperture: f/14
Focal Length: 112mm
ISO-200

2 comments:

  1. very nice image (found on flickr). A lot of nice colors and mist. I'm thinking of doing a big basin hike next month if schedule allows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's a great place if you love hiking and have a whole day to do that. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete