Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sunflower field Dixon, CA

What: I love Sunflower. Such a brilliant color. Summer would not be completed without sunflower... how about a whole field of sunflower...

When: Google sunflower season and some users on flickr, I notice they bloom sometime between early June until late July. It depends on the temperature of the year.

Where: I've been browsing for this field for 1 year, wait and try to find it another year. This year I decided, what the heck, I'll just gonna spend 2 hr driving there to check out the area. At least I'll get a relax road trip on the weekend. So I when to Dixon area early June... nothing there. Sadly drove another 2 hr home. So early July I checked back with some friend in the area, she volunteered to be the Guinea pig and browse the area again follow my rough direction. I headed there the following weekend (7/4/10) after knowing she found the place.

Amazed how big this area is. By the time I got there, the season looks like it's almost over. Still I was able to get some good pictures. They have bee hives along the fields... well, why not, great source for bees to collect honey. These sunflowers grow as high as 7ft and some rows at 4-5 ft.

How: I brought with me all my gear but used Nikon D700, Nikon 16-35mm, 70-300mm, a little of 105mm macro and 50mm but too much glare because of where we were.

I used 70-300mm a lot for portrait, and 16-35mm for some landscape.
DO NOT forget to bring ladder. These flowers are high. I had with me a 3 steps ladder. Helped a little but not much.


This one was merged from 5 different exposures. So I can't really say much about the exif data :)



Speed: 1/125s
Aperture: F/9
ISO 200
Focal Length: 200mm

11 comments:

  1. do you think there will still be flowers in mid August? Or the crops would already be harvested by this time? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had that same question..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try again next year in mid Jun to early July or so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)
      do you have the address of this place? I would like to go there in this week. Thanks

      Delete
  4. can you just go there? or do you have to ask permissions from the owner? how to get there? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is amazing! did you have to get permission to go into the field? would you happen to know if the field is still around now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have the exact address but I have the coordinate in my blog you can follow that to the location. It'd be blooming left and right. The whole area is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I wanted to check this place out in early July this year. I don't seem to see the coordinates on your blog do you mind sharing it here again? Sorry for the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be the address of this Sunflower field. 9055 Olmo Ln
    Dixon, CA 95620

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you just go on to the field or do you have to contact someone for permission to visit the field

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to this blog I was able to locate the sunflowers over the July 4th weekend. They were absolutely amazing!!

    You can't physically walk through the fields because the sunflowers are planted too close to each other. For obvious reasons even if you can I don't think you should... So you can only get as close to it from the dirt road leading to it. I doubt you'd need permission to be there since it's just a road.

    ReplyDelete